From: Arkadiy Vertleyb (vertleyb_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-05-11 11:26:49

"Beman Dawes" <bdawes_at_[hidden]> wrote

> The problems with the current release approach are not caused by release
> managers or developers, but rather by the release system itself. It just
> doesn't scale up to the number of libraries now in Boost, since every
> library has to be ready before a release can occur.
>
> These problems will only grow worse as more libraries are added.

I think you are considering just one dimension of the problem.

The other one -- the number of supported compilers is IMO equaly, if not
even more, important. The broken build can be detected only after the
regressions run on all the compilers. Which may be a few days (or a few
weeks). To fix the build would require a few more regression cycles, and by
that time new errors can (and most likely will) be introduced.

Something needs to be done about compiler availability -- this is the most
critical issue, IMO.

Regards,
Arkadiy