From: bwood (brass_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-05-13 20:44:18

This is a MIME encoded message.

--=_f61bd1ce9ba5ca5b5815a137ef66bf34

David Abrahams wrote:
>>"Le Chaud Lapin" <unoriginal_usern..._at_[hidden]> writes:
>>More than anything in programming, I depend on type to create form.
>>Versioning implies that types are semi-weak.
>

>If versioning in serialized form implies that, then so do revisions of

>your type in a version control system. So, basically, once you design

>a class, it never evolves?

Along the lines of what Lapin is thinking, I think B.Ser's "versioning"
support is problematic. For example, consider wanting to move (or
delete) a data member out of a type between versions 1.1 and 1.2.
B.Ser needs that member to remain in the type in order to support 1.1.

To answer the question: I make changes to types over time, but this
sort of a change is thwarted by the B.Ser approach. An idea of how to
better structure a component can't be implemented in a direct way
because the approach taken by the library isn't able to cope with the
fluidity of software development.

If a server (version) has to support multiple versions of a type at
the same time, conditional compilation wouldn't be helpful either.

If members are simply being added to a type between version 1.1 and
1.2, there remains this blurring of types.

Brian
www.webEbenezer.net
--=_f61bd1ce9ba5ca5b5815a137ef66bf34--