From: Martin Wille (mw8329_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-05-15 12:22:15

David Abrahams wrote:
> When SourceForge repaired CVS most recently, they also changed the
> server names. Yes, this also happened in 2004:
>
> in 2004: cvs.<project>.(sourceforge|sf).net -> cvs.(sourceforge|sf).net
>
> in 2006: cvs.(sourceforge|sf).net -> <project>.cvs.(sourceforge|sf).net
>
> If you have Unix tools available, the following at the root of your
> working copy will reset the server identity:
>
> find /projects/boost-cvs -name Root -exec sed -i -e \
> s/cvs[.]s.*[.]net/boost.cvs.sourceforge.net/ \{} \;

This is not the first time SF changes the host :/

This little trick turned out to be very helpful for me, so I thought I
should share it.

Developers using cvs over OpenSSH might want to prefer to use an alias
name for the host and to adjust their .ssh/config whenever SF comes up
with a new idea for the hostname to use.

E.g. I have this in my .ssh/config:

Host boost
Hostname boost.cvs.sourceforge.net
Compression yes
ForwardX11 no
ForwardAgent no

I check stuff out using 'boost' as hostname. Whenever SF decides on a
new hostname I simply change the second line of the configuration
snippet accordingly. That way, I don't have to fiddle with files in the
CVS subdirectories.

(Another idea would be to add an alias name to /etc/hosts or to create a
DNS CNAME entry. This works, too, but it requires deleting some entries
in .ssh/know_hosts)

Regards,