From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-05-25 14:28:46

"Robert Ramey" <ramey_at_[hidden]> writes:

> David Abrahams wrote:
>> Robert,
>>
>> I'm just about done. I'm unable to test on cw-8.3 at the moment
>> because the test library seems to be broken there. As for cw-9.4, the
>> export tests never worked there, presumably for the same reason I'm
>> seeing: when a class template static member is used only as the result
>> of another template instantiation, it may never get initialized. As a
>> result, base/derived relationships are not getting registered.
>
> That's always been my guess - but I never found a way to fix it.
> I didn't have CW on my own machine so I wasn't really able
> to experiment enough to look for a solution - if there is one.
>
>> Aside from that, all export tests seem to be passing, including
>> release mode tests on vc-8.0.
>
> Note that I had a lot of problems on many platforms with
> code not being instantiated in release mode. I recommend
> testing on all platforms with release mode

Yeah, it looks like vc-7.0 is still eliminating some of the startup
code. My biggest problem is that I don't understand what you're
registering and where, and I can't understand the error messages I
see. So for example, when I get an "unregistered class" exception,
what does that mean? It isn't at all obvious what constitutes
registration of a class.

>> I was able to clean up a *lot* of messy code.
>
>> Would you like me to:
>>
>> 0. Check my code in on the trunk
>
> Without having looked at anything, I'm assuming that export.hpp
> has been pretty much replaced and I would be fine with
> seeing it just checked into the trunk.
>
> I wasn't aware that there
> was a *lot* of messy code (except perhaps workarounds
> for compiler quirks).

Yes, a great deal of the mess was workarounds (sometimes workarounds
that were not effective), but lots was just functionality implemented
in ways that were needlessly convoluted.

> Maybe we have a different criteria
> for "messy". If this confined to a few modules, maybe the
> most practical would be to email them to me so I might
> have a look at them. If its a lot of modules, I would like
> to consider it some more. Note that the trunk is undergoing
> some flux as the adjustments to array serialization are
> being integrated - this might affect the course of action
> here.

The large changes are confined to a few modules. There are lots of
smaller changes.

Just tell me what you want me to do.

--
Dave Abrahams