From: Reece Dunn (msclrhd_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-07-02 12:55:00

Rene Rivera wrote:
> Reece Dunn wrote:
> > BBv2 also chokes when doing:
> >
> > bjam --v2 install msvc-7.1 link=static,shared
> >
> > I have posted this (with a proposed solution several times), but haven't
> > had a response.
>
> Yea, noticed :-) Just hadn't had a chance to think about it yet.

No worries, I was just ensuring that it didn't get lost.

> > (1) The stage.jam tag rule doesn't propagate the <rtti> option which
> > Boost.Wave turns of, causing a duplicate target for Boost.FileSystem.
> > Adding 'r' for rtti=on solves this issue. This will produce:
> >
> > boost_filesystem-vc71-gd-r.lib
> > boost_filesystem-vc71-gd.lib
>
> I don't think this is the right solution for this problem. Although it
> might be a solution for people who turn off rtti overall. If I remember
> from previous discussions we don't want to encourage turning off what
> are supposed to be standard features of the language. And for that
> matter have to test such variants. There's also the problem of changing
> the auto-link code to account for these new names. So it's not just a
> matter of changing the jam code. That means that since we are not adding
> new features to code anymore we can't change the auto-link code to
> account for those new names.

I agree.

> Personally I think turning off rtti for the whole wave library to
> workaround a vc71 bug is the wrong solution, read that as it's a kludge.
> So I would consider it a bug in wave that needs to get fixed.

Something needs to be done, because BBv2 is choking when installing for
msvc-7.1. Also, there is nothing (apart from BBv2 generating a duplicate
target error ;)) stopping someone from saying:

   bjam --v2 install msvc-7.1 rtti=on,off

I agree with what you are saying above about auto-link, testing, etc.,
however the BBv2 toolset doesn't stop a user from doing this. How
does BBv1 solve this with respect to wave/filesystem? Can you install
both rtti-on and rtti-off with BBv1? If you can, this needs to be supported
in V2.

I don't have any answers for this :(.

> > (2) Again in the stage rule, link=shared generates an IMPORT_LIB
> > target that conflicts with the STATIC_LIB target generated by
> > link=static. Adding 'i' or '-imp' for IMPORT_LIB fixes this issue.
>
> This I will fix by making it behave as BBv1 does, and what is
> documented, and what the auto-link code expects of using the "lib" prefix.

Great!

- Reece