From: Tomas Puverle (Tomas.Puverle_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-07-03 11:53:06

> > If you have any suggestions or comments, please let me know; in particular,
> > if you have a better idea how to detect SunOS 5.10 or later, or if you know
> > what memory synchronization guarantees the Solaris atomics are supposed to
> > provide.
>
> Regarding memory synchronisation...
>
> The SPARC v9 architecture manual
> (http://developers.sun.com/solaris/articles/sparcv9.pdf) suggests that
> memory ordering is not a problem.

<snip>

As a second check, from my reading of the ultrasparc III manual
(http://www.sun.com/processors/manuals/USIIIv2.pdf), it indeed seems like that
MEMBAR is not necessary on atomic instructions, whether or not the CPU is
running in the TSO or in the relaxed memory model mode.

As for the OS primitives, as far as I'm concerned it's much better to use the
unline asm (and it will work on pre-solaris 10, too!)

Tom