From: Joel de Guzman (joel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-07-05 10:01:55

Jeff Garland wrote:

> Don't get me wrong, I think the new range interface is a major usability
> advance -- well at least for unix programmers. He actually threw me off a bit
> with this example:
>
> std::string dst(...)
> range_copy(rng|to_upper|to_lower|to_upper, dst);
>
> which didn't make sense (apparently it was a joke). Still, I'm pretty sure in
> a code reading contest more programmers would understand this:
>
> dst.to_upper().to_lower().to_upper();
>
> as obviously ridiculous code.

Me, I prefer the immutable and functional approach:

    to_upper(to_lower(to_upper(rng)))

Yeah, for the record, I never liked the use of the |. With the
plain functional syntax, the joke is very clear.

For the record, I don't like fat everything-but-the-kitchen-sink
interface too. Same as I dislike mutating functions. Sorry, Jeff.

Regards,

--
Joel de Guzman
http://www.boost-consulting.com