From: Dean Michael Berris (mikhailberis_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-07-06 12:29:29

On 7/6/06, Andy Little <andy_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> > Just a side note: in our language here in the Philippines (Filipino),
> > "Quan" is used as an expression when groping for words or referring to
> > something without a name (or which name eludes the person saying it).
> > I think in this case, for lack of a better name for the
> > values/units/quantities "Quan" since it has been a point of contention
> > during the review process, is quite appropriate. ;)
>
> Yes, totally by accident as it happens, it seems the name is very suitable :-)
> Cromwell Enage remarked on it too. I havent added it to the docs yet, but I
> will add the retrospective "explanation" of the name in the intro.

Very suitable indeed. :-)

> I notice that the Philippines are quite close to Java, but what symbolism there
> is there I don't know, except that Java programming language has been reasonably
> successful ! I hope that holds for the Quan library too.

Are you talking about the Java programming language being successful
here in the Philippines? You can blame/thank (depending on how you see
the Java programming language) the educational institutions here for
that... ;-) Generally though here in the Philippines, C++ programmers
are very rare, thanks to the same educational institutions who
proliferate Java and other programming langauages like C/PHP/VB.NET --
and for Quan and Boost to be successful in penetrating the programmer
mind-space here, C++ has got to get picked up better by the schools
and industry first.

But I'd like to think that with Joel de Guzman getting more exposure
here in the Philippines, getting to know more of the people in the
academe and the IT industry, perhaps we can be able to do something
about that. It would also be great if perhaps some of the more
influential people on the list (and those who are looking for a
vacation spot during the summer) would come over one of these days to
spread the love that is Modern C++ Programming in the Philippines...

If some of the Boost people are interested in coming over (doing
something like a road show of sorts here), then I'd be glad to help
out in the arrangements. :)

But of course, the above remark will most probably be marked as OT
already, so I'll stop now. :-D

--
Dean Michael C. Berris
C/C++ Software Architect