From: Hubert Holin (Hubert.Holin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-07-13 12:04:50

Janek Kozicki <janek_listy <at> wp.pl> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Not so long ago you have mentioned that you are working on a linear
> algebra library. I'm very interested in this topic, because I'm using
> such library in my project.
>
> I have looked into the vault but couldn't find this library. Can we have
> a sneak peek?
>
> Questions:

[SNIP]

> 2. will your library allow Boost.Quaternions to be extended in a way that
> those two libraries together will be useful for geometrical rotations?

[SNIP]

> The background for question 2 above:
>
> Author of Boost.Quaternions tried to extend the library with code that
> would allow geomtetrical rotations, but at that time only Boost.Ublas
> library was available. After some investigation he discovered that
> matrices and vectors from ublas are unsuitable for the task, and finally
> he gave up.
>
> Following functions would be needed:
>
> operator*(vector<3,T1>,quaternion<T2>) // most important
> from_rotation_matrix(matrix<3,3,T>)
> to_rotation_matrix()
> from_axis_angle(vector<3,T1> axis, T2 angle)
> to_axis_angle()
> to_euler_angles()
>
> and few others. Similar functionality is already in boost vault:
> directory "Math - Numerics", file Quaternion.h
>
> Without quaternion rotations this linear algebra library would be pretty
> useless for me, so I hope it'll be there :)

Paris (U.E.), le 13/07/2006

   Bonjour

      If there is a reasonably standard (algebra, geometry) library to interface
the quaternions with, I will provide the necessary functions.

      Speaking of the quaternion (and octonion) library, there are quite a few
things which have been on my to-do list for quite some time now (like
support for serialization) which I hope I will finaly have some time to work
on this summer.

   Merci

         Hubert Holin