From: Pavol Droba (droba_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-07-19 02:45:16

Hi Oleg,

Oleg Abrosimov wrote:
> Hello Pavol and Thorsten!
>
> In boost 1.33.1 release string_algo was adopted to use boost::range to
> deal with string abstraction. but in the current release support for
> null-terminated strings is deprecated and will disappear from range
> library in the upcoming 1.34.0 release, as stated in current range'
> documentation.
>
> I'm working on string_cvt library for boost, and it has the same need to
> express a string type or char sequence type in a general way.
>
> My question is - what is a planned replacement for boost::range in a
> relation to null-terminated strings stuff? What you Pavol is planning to
> do in string_algo to workaround the deprecation mentioned? And maybe
> what you Thorsten is planning to provide some special range type that
> can be used to fill this gap?

You do not need to worry. C-string problem is already solved, just
I haven't time to update string_algo yet.
In the boost::range rework, we have though about c-string support
and we came to a reasonable solution. While boost::range does not
directly support c-string, it is possible to use as_literal and
as_array adaptors which turn a c-string or c-array into a range.

String Algorithms will use as_literal internaly, so the c-string
support will remain intact from the user parspective. In addition
there will be an option for user, to supply c-array argument
using as_array adaptor.

Best regards,
Pavol