From: val salamakha (v_s_ha_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-07-22 02:51:34

Sohail, Cliff

Look at Chapter 5 "The ACE Service Configurator Framework" in "C++ Network Programming" v2 of D. Schmidt . The chapter is about the subject of your discussion and explains how it works.

V. Salamakha

Cliff Green <cliffg_at_[hidden]> wrote: On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 15:21:09 -0700
  "Sohail Somani" wrote:
> My colleague just showed me a very concise example of
>how he created a
> service that can be registered with Windows. The same
>code works for
> Unix as well.

So what about someone submitting a "service" library for
Boost? (I'm not sure what the definition of a service is -
I'm a little bit familiar with Windows services, and the
same for Unix daemons, but not sure what the higher-level
abstraction for both would be, since the details of both
OS facilities have some significant differences.)

Cliff