From: Gennaro Prota (gennaro_prota_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-07-24 08:00:07

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 09:39:08 +0100, Paul Giaccone
<paulg_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>Yes, it does, if you want to intimidate a defendant or show off to the
>judge.

Sorry, it wasn't intended to "intimidate" anyone. Just my attempt at
being humorous, partly backed up by thinking that Google could anyway
clear up the actual meaning. In fact, the question itself was meant to
be humorous (see below).

>Could you put those in English for those of us who didn't have the
>benefit of a classical education?

Well, I don't have a classical education myself, anyhow "in diebus
illis" just means "in those days" (you might enjoy looking up
"busillis" in Wikipedia); in this context if wanted to sound as "in
those famous days when the boost license was being discussed"; "sutor
non ultra crepidam" (or "ne sutor ultra crepidam" and variations)
means "cobbler, no further than the sandal" and is used to indicate
not to express opinions outside one's own competence: legend has it
that the Greek painter Apelles asked a cobbler's advice on how to
depict a soldier sandal but the cobbler started advising on the whole
painting. The original sentence was in Greek, of course.

About the use of Latin as kind of obfuscation/intimidation, you might
like this:

 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omnia_munda_mundis>

Sometimes this same concept is expressed in Latin itself, as "quidquid
Latine dictum sit altum viditur" ("whatever is said in Latin looks
high") or "omnia dicta fortiora si dicta latina" ("all said things are
stronger if said in Latin"). That was what I wanted to say, mocking
myself.

--
[ Gennaro Prota, C++ developer for hire ]