From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-07-24 20:55:39

"Gennaro Prota" <gennaro_prota_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 09:26:55 -0700, Jeff Garland
> <jeff_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>>The identifier is a interesting.
>
> It's much more than that! I did run and see it (proud to be the first
> downloader of version 0.2.1 :-)) and I'm enthusiastic. Too many times
> I've realized I needed something to stem the pervasive danger of
> Win32's all-is-a-dword typedefs and postponed the issue.
>
> This is one of those lovely pearl which combine elegance and
> usefulness in a way which happens to be obvious only once you have
> seen it. That's the Euclid algorithm of the type system! :-)

Thanks for the kind words!

> About the name, isn't "identifier" meant as "something which gives an
> identity" rather than as "C++ grammar identifier"?

Yes. Take a look at the Wikipedia article on third normal form at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_normal_form

In the example, I call "part number" an identifier. It is a number assigned
to parts to uniquely identify them. It is common for an identifier to serve
no other purpose and its value be immaterial. So it is pretty close to what
the database folks call a key. But the value of keys is often material, as
in the manufacturer table in the Wikipedia article.

--Beman