From: Jill Stellman (jstellma_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-07-27 14:05:18

I am using the non-deterministic random number generator from the
Boost.Random library. I included nondet_random.hpp in my source code,
but it does not contain the implementation. I attempted to use Bjam to
build the Boost.Random library, but it did not build. I used the
following command:

bjam -sTOOLS=gcc --prefix=/usr --with-boost_random --without-python
install

which resulted in (only) the following output

Building Boost.Regex with the optional Unicode/ICU support disabled.
Please refer to the Boost.Regex documentation for more information
(and if you don't know what ICU is then you probably don't need it).
...found 6900 targets...

and (obviously?) did not build the library for boost_random.

I am using boost 1.33.1-4, bjam 3.1.11-1, g++ 4.1.2, Debian 64bit
unstable.

I eventually just built a library manually by making random_device.o
from random_device.cpp and using ar, which seems to work.
Unfortunately, this process will not work for me as a permanent
solution.

On searching the mailing list archives, I found the following thread:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel/106229/focus=106228

which unfortunately has no further responses. Does anyone know if
anything has been done to address this issue or if there is some reason
why the non-deterministic random number generator should not be used?

Thanks,

Jill