From: Paul A Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-08-01 16:18:18

Not rocket science!

| Thanks for informing me that there is a C99 standard in this area.
| As a VC++ 7.1 user, I have never used C99.

Not sure that many C users have either ;-)

http://www2.open-std.org/JTC1/SC22/WG14/www/C99RationaleV5.10.pdf

http://www.dinkumware.com/c99.aspx

May help.

| I note that:
|
| The output from the extended_num_put facet is consistent
| with the C99
| standard, except that I do not put signs on NaNs. I will not change
| that, since there is no reasonable way for a C++ program to
| detect that sign.

Surely C99 signbit tests the sign bit? (And is best used for testing the
sign of infinity?)

 (And the sign has no meaning anyway, unlike infinity
| where a sign sometimes, but not always, does have meaning.)

Mathematically, you are absolutely correct, but I have argued,
and continue to argue strongly, that there really IS a sign bit,
and that it is unnecessary, indeed wasteful,
to prevent users from making some entirely private use
of this potentially precious sign bit,
when it costs almost nothing to simply output a '-' if the NaN has the sign
bit set.

| The extended_num_get facet should probably be modified to accept as
| input all the representations allowed under the C99
| standard. This means adding support for

| 1. infinity as an alternative to inf
| 2. +nan and -nan
| 3. nan with extra info, i.e. nan(...some characters...)

Would be good if you can spare the time.

Paul

---
Paul A Bristow
+44 1539561830 & SMS, Mobile +44 7714 330204 & SMS
pbristow_at_[hidden]