From: Johan Råde (rade_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-08-02 11:33:10

Robert Ramey wrote:
> Johan Råde wrote:
>
>> What do you thing of Robert Ramey's idea of making it possible to
>> configure a stream to report an error when a non-finite number is
>> inserted or extracted? This could be done with a new stream flag and
>> corresponding manipulators.
>
> Actually I was envisioning that one would just add the desired facet
> after the stream was created. I don't see that this would require
> any new stream flags or manipulators. Something like
>
> // make a new locale
> std::locale float_locale(std::locale::global(), new
> codecvt_strict_float());
> fostream os("filename");
> os.imbue(float_locale);
>
> //... operations on os use fixed or strict floating point output
>
> Robert Ramey

Yes, in the short run, yes.
That is what I've put togegther.
But Paul is working on a proposal to the C++ standardization committee
to get proper handling of infinity and NaN into the standard streams,
without the need for special facets.

P.S. These are not codecvt facets. They are num_put and num_get facets.
Different base classes.

Johan Råde