From: Bjørn Roald (bjorn_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-08-07 02:24:20

Felipe Magno de Almeida wrote:
> If you can dual-license with boost software license and a payed one
> for a organization that may want to pay, then how couldnt you
> dual-license on gpl and boost license?

I think you can dual-license GPL with _more_ restrictive licenses, Such
licensing simply adds the freedoms of the GPL (GNU world) to the
software. See e.g.

http://www.trolltech.com/products/qt/licenses/licensing/licensingoverview

I don't think you can dual license GPL with _less_ restrictive licenses,
e.g. the Boost license. Those licenses add too much freedom. Freedom
to use and hide is not compatible with the GPL. That said, you can use
Boost Software Licensed software in a GPL project. That is what the GPL
compatibility pages is about:

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html#GPLCompatibleLicenses

These pages does not suggest that dual licensing is possible. Just that
dependencies or even direct use of software licensed under Boost
Software License within a project licensed with GPL is possible without
breaking the GPL. I.e. you should never see the two licenses together
on the same artifact (FSF view).

Boost Software License has no restriction affecting such dual licensing,
the issue is with the GPL copyleft restrictions.

Q: Can I use software licensed with the Boost Software License in my
GPL licensed project?
A: Yes, see:
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html#GPLCompatibleLicenses

Q: Can I dual-license my software under both the GPL and the Boost
Software License?
A: The Boost Software License allow this, but not the GPL. This is not
allowed due to the copyleft restrictions in the GPL. See:
http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/#WhatIsCopyleft. Specifically, the problem
is with the GPL requiring all modified and extended versions of the
program to be free as well. The Boost Software License allow the
licensee to make non-free modified and extended versions of the program.

My understanding anyway! I am no legal expert but think I have this one
right, at least until somebody correct me ;-)

Bjørn