From: Frederick Akalin (akalin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-08-19 04:22:28

When compiling the example programs for dynamic_bitset with MSVC++ 8.0,
I get the following message:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\INCLUDE\xutility(2841) :
warning C4996: 'std::_Fill_n' was declared deprecated

and an exhortation to use the "Safe Standard C++ Library".

As my first task as dynamic_bitset's maintainer, I want to modify it to
not trigger this warning. Unfortunately, unlike most of the other
functions that trigger this warning which have _s alternatives, the only
alternative to std::fill_n I could find is MS's "safe" version in their
standard library extension. There's a preprocessor switch I can set,
(_CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE) but I believe it has to be set globally, as
it seemed to have no effect when I included it in dynamic_bitset.hpp.

Does this affect any other libraries? Am I missing anything? What is
the best way to solve this?

Frederick Akalin