From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-08-23 05:01:43

Boris Gubenko wrote:
> John,
>
> I just realized, that unless BOOST_STRICT_CONFIG macro is defined
> (which we don't), config/compiler/hp_acc.hpp defines BOOST_NO_SWPRINTF
> macro. So, even if hpux.hpp would not define this macro, hp_acc.hpp
> will.
>
> I think, that for now, we should leave part of the hpux.hpp header
> setting BOOST_NO_SWPRINTF and BOOST_NO_CWCTYPE macros alone because,
> almost certainly, tuning configuration macros for HP-UX/aCC will
> require a coordinated update of both hpux.hpp and hp_acc.hpp.

hp_acc.hpp looks hopelessly out of date: I suspect we could get a lot more
tests passing with an update. I was going to do just that, but the
hp.testdrive servers appear to be down this morning :-(

There are some aCC specific workarounds in the regex lib that could probably
be removed for recent aCC compiler releases as well.

> I think, that for now, we should change hpux.hpp to only define
> THREADS macros for aCC (which is necessary for regex_regress_threaded
> and static_mutex_test regex library tests to pass):
>
> #if defined(__GNUC__)
> #elif defined(__HP_aCC) && !defined(BOOST_DISABLE_THREADS)
> # define BOOST_HAS_THREADS
> # define BOOST_HAS_PTHREADS
> #endif

Thinking again, I don't think BOOST_HAS_THREADS should be set
unconditionally here: aCC sets _REENTRANT when being built with -mt right?
If so then BOOST_HAS_THREADS should get turned on automatically when
building in multithread-mode *only* in boost/config/suffix.hpp. It was the
lack of BOOST_HAS_PTHREADS that prevented this mechanism kicking in
previously. But it needs testing, and those testdrive machines are still
down. We also need to check that the bjam toolset set's the right flags for
multithread builds.

John.