From: Gerhard Wesp (gwesp_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-08-23 13:45:49

On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 10:39:35AM -0700, Emil Dotchevski wrote:
> addition to boost, and the what() function of class boost::exception. You're
> probably thinking about std::exception::what(), which is different.

I see. Indeed I was confusing the two.

> named it what() because its purpose is very similar: to identify the
> exception (info stored in the exception) object, not to format a message for
> the user.

Still, I *do* use the what() string in std::exception to format a
message for the user, and this turns out to work pretty well. AFAIK,
the standard doesn't assign a purpose to the what() string---It is what
it is, a string held by the exception object.

Regards
-Gerhard

--
Gerhard Wesp