From: Neal Becker (ndbecker2_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-09-08 11:20:27

Patrick Hartling wrote:

> This discussion sort of fizzled out a couple of weeks back, so I thought
> that I would post a short summary to clarify the goals of the RPM spec
> file that I posted. First, here is how things are with the way that Red
> Hat distributes builds of Boost:
>
> * Allows parallel installations of versioned Boost shared libraries
> so that boost-1.32.0.rpm, boost-1.33.1.rpm, etc. could all be
> installed side by side
> * Does not install multi-threaded variants of Boost libraries
> * Does not install debug versions of libraries
> * Does not put headers in a versioned subdirectory of /usr/include
> * Strips toolset and version from the base library name
> (libboost_signals.so versus libboost_signals-gcc-1_33_1.so)
> * Does not allow multiple boost-devel RPMs to be installed in parallel
>
> The spec file that I posted does the following:
>
> * Allows parallel installations of versioned Boost shared libraries
> so that boost-1.32.0.rpm, boost-1.33.1.rpm, etc. could all be
> installed side by side
> * Installs multi-threaded variants of Boost libraries
> * Installs both debug and optimized versions of all libraries
> * Puts headers in a versioned subdirectory of /usr/include
> * Uses fully qualified library names
> * Allows multiple boost-devel RPMs to be installed in parallel
> * Provides compatibility with (current) Red Hat conventions using
> optional "-symlink" packages, the use of which would conflict with
> Boost RPMs provided by Red Hat and would prevent the ability to
> install multiple boost-devel RPMs in parallel

I see 2 issues with the proposed spec.

1) It would install into %{_libdir}, and so potentially conflict with
redhat's rpms. I recommend using a different directory. We
have /etc/ld.so.conf.d, so this is easy to implement.

2) Unless you fix #1, ldconfig would put libboost_signals.so as a link to
redhat's version (because of libboost_signals.so.2).