From: Roland Schwarz (roland.schwarz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-09-16 07:22:59

Beman Dawes wrote:
> I've just had an email exchange will Bill Kempf, and he has given
> permission to change the Boost.Threads licensing to the Boost license.

This is really good news!

> He said that the reasons he has not been able to continue work on
> Boost.Threads are entirely personal, and that he does not expect to be
> able to help for the foreseeable future. He wishes Boost well.

My best wishes for Bill too. I hope the personal reasons are not caused
by anything health related or something.

> Will someone volunteer to change the files involved?

As I am currently the one trying to guide the rewrite project, I hereby
restate my continuing willingness to maintain the thread lib.

I am just back from holidays and I am trying to catch up.

I have to admit, that the progress of the rewrite got a little slower
than I have intended. Part of my problems came from the steep learning
curve of boost.build. (I am willing to discuss this if there is interest.)

While in no way I distrust this news, I would feel a little more
comfortable if it were possible to get kind of a "approval" by Bill
himself. It might very well be the case, that Bill Kempf thinks someone
else should be entitled to maintain his work. E.g. Anthony Williams
comes to mind, as he currently seems to be somewhat more active
than me.

Also I would like to get into direct contact with Bill if
possible. I want to make sure that the direction of the started
rewrite does not miss his intended goals entirely.

I would be very glad if you could establish this contact, of course
also off-list if Bill prefers.

Thank you,
Roland