From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-10-01 21:57:21

Jeff Garland wrote:

> I don't see a reason why we couldn't start supporting advanced features using
> ConceptGCC or other compilers using our usual configuration system even before
> the standard is complete. That might help provide for detailed evaluation of
> various features and implementations. If the features don't ever make it to
> the standard they could be deprecated and removed over time.

The problem isn't just features that don't make it into the standard,
but also features that do make it in, but get modified in various
important ways.

Once a feature makes it into the working paper (WP), there is less risk
involved. As the WP stabilizes (no new features being added, all work
directed at finishing), the risk is much lower. But to do much more than
experiment with a new feature before it even gets voted into the WP is
asking for trouble, IMO.

--Beman