From: Steve Hutton (shutton_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-10-04 21:03:53

On 2006-10-04, Jeff Garland <jeff_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Nicola Musatti wrote:
>> Hallo,
>> a few months ago there was a discussion on how a database interface library
>> would be a welcome addition to TR2 and the SOCI developers suggested that SOCI
>> could be a valid candidate for that role
>> (http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel/140816). They also
>> mentioned their intention to make SOCI ready for submission to Boost.
>>
>> Was any progress made on this issue? Is there any interest in reopening the
>> discussion on such a library, SOCI submission notwithstanding?
>
> I'm not sure what there is to discuss. It didn't happen :-( And TR2
> submission time is over. I still want to see SOCI or the equivalent in Boost,
> but the authors have to bring it forward. Last I knew they were waiting to
> have an ODBC driver first. I didn't see the need for that, but they thought
> it was essential...

Ok, if we were waiting specifically for an ODBC driver that's news to me
:-) Maybe it's more accurate to say that SOCI has been proceeding at
its own natural pace - it is, like many open source projects, mostly a
part time effort. It's unfortunate we didn't have something ready for
TR2, but we have been still been making progress, and our development
team has grown.

Currently we are finalizing the 2.2 release, which will contain backend
support for Firebird and MS SQL Server (in addition to the existing
support for Oracle, Postgresql, Sqlite, and MySQL)

Additionally, we are working on something which was a common feature
request: iterator support. We also are adding support for MS Devstudio
projects, to make SOCI more accessible to Windows users.

After the 2.2 release (in a couple of weeks), we are planning to branch
our code base to start preparing for submission to boost.

Steve