From: Mateusz Loskot (mateusz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-10-05 07:12:22

Jeff Garland wrote:
> Nicola Musatti wrote:
>> Hallo,
>> a few months ago there was a discussion on how a database interface library
>> would be a welcome addition to TR2 and the SOCI developers suggested that SOCI
>> could be a valid candidate for that role
>> (http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel/140816). They also
>> mentioned their intention to make SOCI ready for submission to Boost.
>>
>> Was any progress made on this issue? Is there any interest in reopening the
>> discussion on such a library, SOCI submission notwithstanding?
>
> I'm not sure what there is to discuss. It didn't happen :-( And TR2
> submission time is over. I still want to see SOCI or the equivalent in Boost,
> but the authors have to bring it forward.

I'm a member of SOCI dev team for a few months and I can confirm we're
seriously considering Boost direction :-)
In most of discussions on the soci-devel list, there are some
references to Boost policies, guidelines, submission, etc.

Just to tell a few secrets, we've changed SOCI building system to follow
Boost naming convention of libraries, after 2.2.0 release we're going to
create separate branch to put there SOCI boosification, etc.

So, I can say we're heading the Boost course.

> Last I knew they were waiting to
> have an ODBC driver first. I didn't see the need for that, but they thought
> it was essential...

I'm not sure, but this ODBC requirement might be inherited from
this summary:

http://www.crystalclearsoftware.com/cgi-bin/boost_wiki/wiki.pl?Relational_Database_Access

Cheers

--