From: Steve Hutton (shutton_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-10-07 14:44:26

On 2006-10-06, Nicola Musatti <Nicola.Musatti_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Steve Hutton <shutton <at> featurecomplete.com> writes:
>
>> However, we need
>> to get Maciej's thoughts on these issues when he comes back online.
>
> Definitely. Somehow these discussions seem to always take place close to his
> holidays :-)

Ok, I have another forwarded email from Maciej...

[Maciej Sobczak wrote:]

The important thing to note about the interface is that the overloaded
operators (this is the controversial part) are only syntax sugar over the more
traditional interface, so that this:

int i;
sql << "select ...", into(i);

is really just a thin wrapper over this:

int i;
Statement st(sql);
st.alloc();
st.prepare("select ...");
st.exchange(into(i));
st.execute(true);

In other words, SOCI does not force anybody to use the most convenient
interface ever invented and always provides the less convenient
alternatives. ;-)
More on this: http://soci.sourceforge.net/doc/reference.html#statement

Cheers,

Maciej