From: Richard Day (richardvday_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-10-11 23:09:05

Peter Dimov wrote:
> Thorsten Ottosen wrote:
>

>> I think the bug is that the compiler does not allow one to take the
>> adress of a temporary object (an rvalue). Normal compilers usually
>> give a warning about it, but compile it.
>>

> Such code is ill-formed. No compiler is required to accept it.
There are often area's where the standard says it is not required or
undefined yet a majority of vendors DO allow it as is the case here I
believe.
In effect it becomes a de-facto but unofficial standard. Remember we as
programmers tend to be lazy,
if it works on most compilers we tend to expect it to work on all of them.