From: Joel de Guzman (joel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-10-18 20:12:35

Stefan Seefeld wrote:
> Joel de Guzman wrote:
>
>> G++ is a poor compiler to test for optimization and speed. Use VC8
>> instead. It produces one of the tightest code so far.
>
> Ahem, can you please be a bit more specific ? There are quite substantial
> differences between different versions. g++ 4.1 is actually very good
> (though, unfortunately some of boost.mpl doesn't compile with g++ 4.1.1 due
> to some obscure bug).

All of them. We've been testing fusion with different compilers in
different platforms and so far g++ trails behind VC++ in all tests.
If you not convinced, please see Boost CVS. In libs/fusion/example/
performance, you can find some tests. Try to beat VC8's results.
g++ produces bigger and slower code in general. I chuckle when
people show benchmarks with g++ alone and proclaim that library
A is better than library B. I am not an MS fan but the fact is that
VC++ beats g++ with extreme TMP (inlining, templates, small objects
optimization, etc).

Regards,

--
Joel de Guzman