From: Matt Gruenke (mgruenke_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-11-01 04:34:11

Lubomir Bourdev wrote:

> Stefan Heinzmann wrote:
>
>> Maybe it's just me but I find extending GIL to support
>> something like the v210 Quicktime format quite challenging (I
>> don't want to imply that this is GIL's fault). This is a
>> 10-bit YUV 4:2:2 format which stores 6 pixels in 16 bytes.
> This is an excellent example for a very complicated image format.

I thought I'd point out that another common sample structure, with
similar issues, is the Bayer format. It's a popular optical filtering
technique for capturing color images using a single CCD, in digital
cameras. It's structured as a checkerboard consisting of green and
blue/red samples. It's typically exposed to software via RAW files
(vendor-specific files available from most digital still cameras), and
is also a format supported by the IIDC 1394-based Digital Camera
Specification (both 8 & 16 bits per sample).

Matt