From: Fernando Cacciola (fernando_cacciola_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-11-02 13:54:31

Hi Ullrich,

>> Now, off the pixel/color topic.
>> rom the Quicktime format disccusion: is it possible to supersample
>> (rather than subsample) an image? That is, to take two or more
>> consequtive pixels in a row and pretend is just one pixel?
>
> Regarding terminology: 'supersampling' is commonly understood as
> creating more sampling points than were originally available,

Right, that's my understading of supersampling.

> whereas
> 'subsampling' reduces the number of sampling points (opposite to your
> use of the term).

GIL's subsample_view skips pixels (takes less sampling points) and I was
thinking in doing sort of the opposite: take 2 or more pixels from the
source image as if they were multiple samples from the same "point", that
is, mapped into just one pixel in the target.
That's why I referred to it as supersampling.

Best

Fernando Cacciola
SciSoft
http://fcacciola.50webs.com/