From: Matt Gruenke (mgruenke_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-11-02 20:13:49

Fernando Cacciola wrote:

>Matt Gruenke wrote:
>

>>Fernando Cacciola wrote:
>>

>>>Now, off the pixel/color topic.
>>>rom the Quicktime format disccusion: is it possible to supersample
>>>(rather than subsample) an image? That is, to take two or more
>>>consequtive pixels in a row and pretend is just one pixel?
>>>

>>You're talking about a subsampling (or decimating) iterator,
>>

>No, but I can see how the way I expressed it looked like that.
>

>>instead-
>>of
>>an interpolating iterator?
>>

>Exactly. The idea was not to skip even or odd pixels (which subsampling
>does) but to combine them.

You mean like a 4:2:2 iterator, which contains two consecutive luma
samples and a chroma sample (pair)? Perhaps you could generalize this
into a multisample iterator, and provided a means of getting the image
dimensions in terms of multisample steps. However, I'm not sure how
useful any of that would be.

>>However, for most purposes where this is desirable, it is probably
>>more efficient to write a routine that resamples entire rows and
>>columns at a time.
>>

>Which is what Ulrich said. It would be interesting the benchmark it though.

It would probably be slower, because it would involve redundant channel
unpacking (certainly, if you're using a large reconstruction kernel) and
probably redundant loads of reconstruction kernel coefficients.

Matt