From: Chris Thomasson (cristom_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-11-06 18:49:48

Okay... The last algorithm I posted in this thread actually works. It shows
how to do atomically thread-safe reference counted static initialization of
c++ objects which adhere to a thread-safety level of strong. I am almost
finished creating a technical white paper which will give a fairly detailed
description of every aspect of my algorithm, and the implementation details
of a fully working prototype. After reading it, you should have no problem
implementing and experimenting with my algorithm for yourself.

The basic concept of my technique is, IMHO, very straightforward and fairly
simple to understand:

-- Correct multi-threaded referenced counted static initialization of C++
objects can be realized through the interface of a smart pointer which wraps
a low-level API that uses atomic operations to access the contents of a
statically initialized POD. The paper and library will be posted today or
tomorrow.

I think I have a good solution to this particular "C++ problem". IMHO, my
static initialization algorithm works well with and could be an asset to the
Boost Library. Therefore, I am really looking forward to, and will be very
interested in, reading any comments/critiques/suggestions on my technique
the Boost community may have.

Thank you all for your time,

Chris Thomasson