From: AlisdairM (alisdair.meredith_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-11-08 14:01:51

Johan Nilsson wrote:

> Has Boost.System been reviewed? If not, having a reviewed and
> accepted library depend on a not-reviewed-and-accepted one seems a
> bit strange IMHO.

I believe it is already an implementation detail of the filesystem
library. Now it becomes a shared implementation detail of the asio
library as well.

I believe the goal of reviewing it as a separate library is to promote
a clear publicly documented error handling strategy that can be shared
and relied on by many libraries, inside and outside Boost. Once
reviewed, I expect that API to become a bit more stable (as in
fixed/unchanging) than what is today a library-specific implementation
detail.

I would also expect both those libraries named above to adopt the new
API, especially given the goal of those authors.

That said, if boost.system does not pass a review, filesystem and asio
still need to handle/report errors and there is no reason they cannot
continue using this implementation. There would simply be no mandate
to share that API more widely.

--
AlisdairM