From: Tobias Schwinger (tschwinger_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-11-09 13:46:51

Hi Richard,

Richard Smith wrote:

> Throughout these comments, I am assuming the namespace alias
>
> namespace bft = boost::function_types;
>

> 1. Namespace
>
> The public interface to this library is in the
> boost::function_types namespace. As a propsective user of
> the library, it feels very much like an extension to the
> type_traits library, and that leaves me wondering why the
> library isn't in the main boost namespace with the other
> type_traits functionality.

Well, we can probably pull some of the templates down to boost (see below) in case the library gets accepted into Boost.

> 2. Use of Tags
>
> After a second glance, it's clear that one reason for
> having separate namespaces is to avoid name collisions --
> we already have a boost::is_function, for example. And
> this leaves me wondering how boost::is_function differs
> from bft::is_function as the names fail to convey the
> distinction. So far as I can see, the additional Tag
> template parameter is the only difference, and only three
> of the possible property tags are meaningful: variadic,
> non_variadic and default_cc.

No. In fact is_function is a candidate to be put in namespace boost.
The tag parameter has a default, so boost::is_function and bft::is_function are compatible.

> The majority of the time I can't imagine myself making
> much use of any of these tags. Are they really worth
> while? The 'Rationale' section of the documentation
> addresses this and considers some alternatives:

<snip quote>

> What about the third possibility: leave it up to the
> client to sythesise these more complicated examples. It
> will involve adding a few more templates: notably
> is_variadic and is_default_cc. Then, instead of writing
>
> bft::is_function< T, bft::variadic >::value
>
> you would write
>
> boost:is_function<T>::value && boost::is_variadic<T>::value
>
> ... which is not significantly more verbose. I think this
> would be my prefered interface as it would avoid the
> duplication of functionality between the type_traits
> library (and the potential for confusion that this would
> cause).

I think, I don't like it. It's too irregular for my taste.

> 3. Extensibility
>
> The internal bitmask implementation underlying the
> property tags does not appear to allow extension by a user.

Hell - don't mess with the bitmask - it's a library internal ;-) !

> For example, there is a default_cc tag; suppose I
> want to add support for querying the some other calling
> convention.

You can.

> Can I write a fastcall_cc tag?

Even better: It's written for you.

> Scanning
> through the implementation it would appear not --
> certainly there's no documentation on how to do so.

All you have to do is set the macros BOOST_FT_CC_NAMES and BOOST_FT_CC_<name>
appropriately (see Reference->Macros).

> If a tag-like syntax is considered desireable, wouldn't
> something like
>
> template < typename T,
> template <typename> class UnaryTypeTrait >
> struct is_function
> : integral_constant< bool,
> is_function<T>::value && UnaryTypeTrait<T>::value
> >
> {};
>
> be more extensible? Or does this have to work with
> compilers that can't handle template template parameters?

No. But it's supposed to work with MPL-Lambda Expression, which do not allow template template parameters.

> 4. Naming
>
> It seems unlikely that the default_cc tag will be
> particularly heavily used. Given this, why not give it a
> more meaningful name: default_calling_convention perhaps?

For the default configuration all calling convention tags currently have a _cc suffix.
But we might as well s/_cc/_calling_convention/g.

> 5. Extern "C" linkage

<snip>

> (mostly because you can't put extern "C"
> within a template or atemplate within an extern "C"
> block).

Exactly.

> 6. What is a 'callable builtin'?
>
> So far as I can see, the C++ Standard does not define
> 'callable', so I asume that the pertinent definition
> is the one in TR1, 3.1/6:
>
> | A /callable type/ is a pointer to function, a pointer to
> | member function, a pointer to member data, or a class
> | type whose objects can appear immediately to the left of
> | a function call operator.
>
> By this definition, function types are not callable, nor
> are references to functions, bizarre as this may seem.

<snip>

> Though I'm not wholly convinced with TR1's definition of
> 'callable', this is as close as it gets to a standard
> definition, and it would seem wise to make pointers to
> member data return true.
>
> I also think 'builtin' needs documenting even if only
> superficially; to me 'builtin' is a synonym to
> 'fundamental', though there are no callable fundamental
> types.

Obviously these terms do not work well... We need a definition or we have to find a better way of naming the beast.

> 7. What is a 'callable scalar'?
>
> The term 'scalar' is defined in 3.9/10:
>
> | Arithmentic types, enumeration types, pointer types, and
> | pointer to member types, and cv-qualified versions of
> | these types are collectively called scalar types.
>
> Note that references, whether to functions or otherwise,
> are *not* scalars. The is_callable_scalar metafunction
> returns true for references to functions. This is wrong.

Doh!

> Also, why is is_callable_scalar useful? I'm not sure I
> can think of a use case; and if I could, I imagine it
> would be rare enough that it wouldn't be much of an
> inconvenience to sythesise it from is_function and
> is_callable_builtin.

Good point. Probably we can just throw it out.

> 8. 'Tag Types' documentation
>
> In several places, the 'Tag Types' documentation
> incorrectly gives types two leading underscores.

Where?!

> 9. Extending result_type
>
> Perhaps this is beyond the intended scope of the library,

Yes.

> but I think it would be very useful to extend the domain
> of this metafunction to include class types with a
> result_type member type.

No, that's what boost::result_of is for. FunctionTypes is only about the type system. One of its examples is a reimplementation of boost::result_of, in fact.

<snip>

> 10. Syntactic sugar around parameter_types
>
> Whilst being able to leverage the full power of the MPL
> with parameter_types is definitely desireable, it can also
> faze those less familiar with metaprogramming.
>
> I would like to suggest a helper metafunction that
> extracts a single parameter type:
>
> template < typename F, std::size_t N,
> class ClassTransform = add_reference<_> >
> struct function_parameter {
> typedef typedef mpl::at<
> function_parameters<F, ClassTransform>, N
> >::type type;
> };
>
> (I'd suggest base-zero numbering as given here, though
> this might cause confusion in conjunction with the
> first_argument_type, second_argument_type typedefs in
> std::binary_function.)

Good practice is to typedef the sequence and use mpl::at_c on the new name.
It also leads to more readable code, IMO.

Further, I think it's a good idea to encourage people to use the MPL.

> Oh, and I'd also like to suggest a quick comment in the
> documentation saying what the '_' is that is given as a
> template argument to add_reference -- a quick
>
> using mpl::placeholders::_;
>
> in the synopsis would probably be sufficient.

I'll add that.

> 11. Member function arities
>
> The documentation to function_arity states that the 'this'
> pointer is included -- which is what most people would
> expect. It's also what the implementation does. However
> in the 'Use Cases' page of documentation, a R (C::*)()
> function is listed in the first code fragment under the
> comment '0 parameters'. Although not explicitly
> contradictory (parameters and arity don't *necessarily*
> mean the same thing), I think this is potentially
> confusing.

I'm afraid that making the same point while addressing this issue could be more confusing. Any suggestions?

> 12. Use cases documentation
>
> To be honest, I find this page of the documentation
> dreadful, which is shame as the rest is quite reasonable.
> It discusses various scenarios that could benefit from the
> application of this library, but utterly fails to suggest
> *how* they would benefit from the library.
>
> On the whole page, only one of the library's components is
> actually mentioned -- the function_pointer metafunction
> for synthesising function types. But the code fragment is
> far too incomplete to be of any real use. It's also one
> of the more complicated examples as it requires using the
> MPL. By all means include such a example, but not as the
> only one!

Did you follow the links? There's a lot of inline documentation in the files.
But maybe I don't get your point.

Further, as mentioned above, I'm all against MPL-fear-mongering.

> 13. Why is bft::components useful?
>
> For that matter, what *exactly* does it do?

It gives a one-type respresentation of all properties. And IIRC there is at least one example that shows it in action.

> First the
> documentation says
>
> | components<T,ClassTransform>
> | MPL - Front / Back Extensible Random Access Sequence
> | of all component types and property tag
>
> then it says
>
> | Extracts all properties of a callable builtin type, that
> | is the result type, followed by the parameter types
> | (including the type of this for member function
> | pointers).
>
> The former is ambiguous -- it doesn't say what it means by
> 'component types'; > and the latter contradicts it by not
> mentioning the property tag.
>
> It also seems not to mention what it actually means by
> *the* property tag. A function can be variadic or
> non_variadic; it be default_cc; it may have cv-qualifiers,
> which in the case of a const volatile function needs to
> tags to express it. Are these concatenated using bft::tag
> or appended one-by-one to the end of the MPL sequence?

The expression models two concepts.

> But more importantly, why do we need this metafunction?
> It does nothing that separate invokations of result_type,
> parameter_types and the various is_* metafunctions can't
> achieve. And I would *rather* see separate invokations of
> the these -- it would make for much more readble code.
>
> Oh, and the name isn't very descriptive.

Well, read it like

   function_type's::components

. I've seen names worse than that...

> 14. Type sythesis
>
> ... And now I see what bft::components is supposed to
> achieve.
>
> But I still don't find the idea of merging the result
> type, parameter types and arbitrary other information
> together into a single type list at all intuitive.
>
> What's wrong with:
>
> template < typename Result, class ParameterSeq,
> class PropertiesTag = null_tag >
> struct function_type;
>
> Much more readable, in my opinion.

Maybe. But I'm not sure.

> Having said that, I think these metafunctions are an
> important piece of functionality. It's merely their
> interface I'm concerned about.
>

> I hope these points have been useful -- and sorry for such a
> long post if they haven't!

Nothing to be sorry about. Thank you for your review!

Regards,

Tobias