From: Christopher Kohlhoff (chris_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-11-10 08:12:50

Hi Johan, Johan Nilsson <r.johan.nilsson_at_[hidden]> wrote: [...] > 2) I've implemented similar code previously, but only designed > for portability with linux and Win32. What I very often use, > is something corresponding to retrieving errno or calling > GetLastError (on Win32). > > With the current design, it is harder to implement library > code throwing system_errors (retrieving error codes) as you'll > need to get the corresponding error code in a > platform-specific way. Or did I miss something? I think the intention is that platform specific library implementations will initialise the error_code in a platform-specific way. At least, this is what asio does. > 4) I'm wondering about best practices for how to use the > error_code class portably while maintaining as much of the > (native) information as possible. Ideally, it should be > possible to check for specific error codes portably, while > having the native descriptions(messages) available for as much > details as possible. Using native_ecat and compare using > to_errno? Asio and its TR2 proposal provide a set of global constants of type error_code that can be used for portably checking for well known error codes. See sections 5.2 and 5.3.2.6 in N2054 for more detail: http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2006/n2054.pdf Cheers, Chris