From: Roland Schwarz (roland.schwarz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-11-10 11:21:58

Arkadiy Vertleyb wrote:
> Second, I think Boost is becomming too big. Maybe splitting it into parts
> needs to be considered? For example Boost.Core would have a separate
> release schedule, and the rest of Boost would be developed against the
> stable core?

Yes I think this could be a starting.
But since the dependencies between the extended libs might also be
rather strong, we would need something like Linux distributions are
already using. E.g. debian has a sophisticated dependency framework.

I am afraid that even factoring out a core boost would be anything than
trivial. I remember having tried to create a dependency graph, and
visualized it. It turned out to look like a huge ball of wool.

I agree, that an attempt to find some layering scheme would be very
beneficial to the library. Then the release cycles could possibly
be decoupled.

Roland