From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-11-10 13:06:07

Gennadiy Rozental wrote:

> "Vladimir Prus" <ghost_at_[hidden]> wrote in message

>>> I am not sure I understand: static version of the UTF does have function
>>> main() implementation included.
>>
>> Yes, but I mean that it's possible to have:
>>
>> - UTF, that is build either as static lib or DLL and does *not*
>> have any main function.
>> - Small static library that contains stock definition of main.
>
> No. This is not going to be acceptable IMO.

Why? Is there some problem I've overlooked?

>> So, when using UTF DLL, user must "just" link to an extra library, which
>> might be simpler than defining macroses.
>
> Why? How is it easier?

Adding one library to link link is easier that modifying sources for a every
test program.

>> And importantly, Boost.Build V2
>> can make this transparent for all Boost.Test users inside Boost.
>
> Not everybody are using Boost.Build.

I was talking about Boost.Test users inside Boost; of them all use
Boost.Build.

> IMO the issue is not that significant. In a long term Boost.Test users
> should switch to auto generated test tree and this case is easily
> supported in both builds. Conversion in 95% of the cases is
> straightforward and simple to do.

Sure, but I if nobody does nothing, then in a year from now most tests in
Boost will still be linking to Boost.Test statically.

- Volodya