From: Jason Hise (0xchaos_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-11-10 15:10:05

On 11/10/06, François Duranleau <duranlef_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Nov 2006, Jason Hise wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > This issue arises directly because of the fact that a matrix
> > conceptually is a compound type, whose components should be accessible
> > to client code. But a matrix is not just a compound type composed of
> > elements. A matrix is composed of rows of elements.
>
> I agree on your stand about matrix vs vector types as being distinct, but
> I don't agree that a matrix is just composed of rows of elements. It could
> also be columns of elements. Which is it? A matrix should be left as a two
> dimensional array (conceptually), either row-major or column-major or the
> exact layout could be a parameter, as for boost::multi_array, except this
> time maybe as a template parameter.

Maybe. I have to wonder though if this flexibility adds
functionality, or just room for confusion. I've heard of doing
elementary row opeerations, but I have not heard of doing elementary
column operations. I would think that a standardized means of storage
and accesss would make code clearer, but I will concede this point if
you can show me use cases where this flexibility comes in handy for
client code.

-Jason