From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-11-10 16:13:54

Matt Doyle wrote:
>> [mailto:boost-bounces_at_[hidden]] On Behalf Of Thomas Witt

>> FWIW users that depend on v1 can always use 1.33.x

> Doesn't this seem rather Microsoft-ish? I'm thinking of .NET, the
> attitude was you wouldn't accept it when we offered it to you so now
> we're going to force it on you. And, if you really don't want .NET you
> can always use VC6.5. Do you see the parallels here?

There is one significant difference, Boost.Build is not a Boost library.
It's a tool Boost uses to make the the distribution and building easier.
I.e. BB is independent of the Boost releases.

> If it has to go
> away, and I'm not saying for a moment that it shouldn't, v1 should at
> least be formally deprecated for one release cycle so as not to catch
> the users off guard.

BBv1 has been in deprecation status for more than 8 months now (I don't
really remember that far back, so it may be even longer). And it will
still be deprecated after the 1.34.0 release. It just won't be included
with the release. If any one want to use it, it will still be available
in CVS. The *big* caveats are that it is no longer supported (inside nor
outside of Boost). And Boost libraries will no longer use it.

So in a sense this is more like MFC, if you must insist on using
Microsoft references ;-)

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything