From: Sohail Somani (s.somani_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-11-11 01:31:50

Hi, sorry for the TP.

I came across a post on the gcc mailing list today that says they are working on some sort of link time optimization. Specifically, they said separately compiled modules will no longer be safe from reordering. I don't know if there is a distinction between what you say here: "All of its “critical-sequences” are contained in externally assembled functions ( read all ) in order to prevent a rouge C compiler from reordering anything that would corrupt the data-structure" and what is implied by the post.

Would a toolchain that provides link time rejigging possibly make this bomb at some point?