From: Matthias Troyer (troyer_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-11-12 08:33:34

On 9 Nov 2006, at 21:43, Andy wrote:

> I have uploaded a new version of the guid library to the boost vault
> (guid_v4.zip). (I seem to be unable to change the file description
> for
> guid_v3.zip to not say the last version.)
>
> Changes:
> I have written documentation.
> The create function now just creates a random number based guid
> instead of
> pretending to create a time-based one.
> It uses Boost Build System V2
>
> I plan to add serialization and name-based creation in the near
> future.
>
> I welcome any (and hope to receive many) comments and criticisms.
>
> Andy Tompkins

Hi Andy,

It seems from looking at the code that create_v4 will create
identically the same guid if two computers (or nodes in a parallel
computer) create a guid during the same second? This would be very
common in any parallel program. This is why the paper you cite
suggests using the MAC address of the computer for the lowest 6 octets.

Matthias