From: Martin Bonner (martin.bonner_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-11-14 04:58:37

----Original Message----
From: boost-bounces_at_[hidden]
[mailto:boost-bounces_at_[hidden]] On Behalf Of Johan Råde Sent: 13
November 2006 16:41 To: boost_at_[hidden]
Subject: Re: [boost] Optimized portable isnan, isfinite, fpclassify etc

> Paul A Bristow wrote:
>>

>>> Johan Råde wrote:
>
>>> I did some tests with VC6.5:
> [snip]
>>> std::numeric_limits<T>::signaling_NaN() does return negative
>>> infinity.
>>
>> This was a feature - I complained about it to PJP many years ago -
>> after thinking I was terminally confused. I believe is has been
>> corrected.
>>
>> I suggest you/we stop trying to support this obselete version of the
>> library.
>> It will only encourage people to keep on (ab-)using it ;-)
>>
>> Paul
>
> VC 6.5 is on the list of platforms officially supported by Boost.

I don't think there really is such a thing as "THE list of platforms supported by Boost". Different libraries support different platforms. Some libraries continue to support VC 6.5, but there is no reason for a new library to make an effort to support it.

> It is hard for me to imagine that anyone still uses it.

We are still using VC5 for some code. (We skipped VC6.x and then went straight to VC7).

--
Martin Bonner
Martin.Bonner_at_[hidden]