From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-11-20 23:27:11

Rene Rivera <grafikrobot_at_[hidden]> writes:

>> 2) toolset=msvc builds e.g. boost_thread-vc-mt-gd-1_35.lib, i.e.
>> no toolset version
>
> Which follows what BBv1 does. But maybe that's not a good thing seing as
> one was very unlikely to use an unversioned toolset.

It's especially bad as it breaks auto-linking.

>> 3) toolset=gcc chooses the compiler which is closer in PATH.
>> If you think this is reasonable enough, there is no need
>> for action. I'd suggest to possibly mention it in the doc.
>> I suspect msvc auto toolset choice is different, isn't it?
>> This will choose the newer, not the "closer in PATH" one,
>> does it?
>
> I think we need to make this consistent across toolsets. AFAIR we've
> always preferred using the most recent toolset version.

I think the difference is that on *nix, it's very common to have a
"system compiler" that is not as new as the newest compiler
installed. For example, "gcc" might be version 3.4 and to get
gcc-4.0.2 you need to write gcc-4. On Windows there's no notion of a
"system compiler."