From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-11-28 05:19:52

John Maddock wrote:

> Vladimir Prus wrote:
>> John,
>> are your V2-based auto-link tests in CVS yet? I'm not sure it would
>> be good to add them to regression tests at this moment, but I'd
>> rather have them in CVS just in case.
>
> Looks like I dropped that particular ball around here somewhere....
>
> I've committed what I have to cvs HEAD, but note that:
>
> All the targets will compile only with Borland.
>
> With msvc (especially V8) there are some "impossible" targets that will
> fail, I haven't tried it lately though: I was waiting to see how bbv2
> would
> handle impossible-compiler-variants. Has there been any progress on this?
>
> On non-windows platforms we probably shouldn't be bothering building any
> of these targets?
>
> Hmmm, just been running the tests, and there are some strange things going
> on.
>
> I have some targets that specify impossible variants for msvc (but not for
> Borland), for example:
>
> run ../main.cpp link_test
> : : : <define>BOOST_DYN_LINK=1 <link>shared <runtime-link>shared
> <threading>single release : link_test_dll_dyn_single_release ;
>
> But the <threading>single seems to just get ignored, and it builds the
> <threading>multi variant instead. Is this expected?

Yes, with msvc, if you try shared runtime, you get MT build, no matter what.
I believe this corresponds to what V1 does.

> On the other hand, this target:
>
> run ../main.cpp link_test
> : : : <link>static <runtime-link>static <threading>single debug :
> link_test_static_single_debug ;
>
> which is valid for msvc-7.1 but not msvc-8.0 builds for the former, but
> not the latter?

What do you mean by "no the latter"? Is it skipped, or built in MT mode or
what? I don't think there's no code to do anything when static runtime is
used. What should happen in this case?

- Volodya