From: Simon Atanasyan (atanasyan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-11-28 14:10:58

2006/11/28, Bjørn Roald <bjorn_at_[hidden]>:
> James Dennett skrev:
> > (Unfortunately the platform on which I currently do most of my
> > work -- Solaris, using Sun's compiler and standard library --
> > doesn't support much of Boost. Sun's support for boost seems
> > to be dependent on us being able to use a binary-incompatible
> > standard library implementation, which is not viable when needing
> > to link with third-party proprietary libraries.)
> >

> Maybe Sun need to switch to use stlport as their default standard
> library for the next compiler release. This would signal which library
> is considered more compliant and most relevant for library vendors.
> Special flags should be for backward compliance, not the other way around.

We're (at Sun) discussing this suggestion. Maybe -library=stlport4
will be on by default in the next release. But this won't help in that
case quickly. There are a lot of third-party library developers who
supplies libraries in a binary format and link it with very old std
library implementation.

--
Simon Atanasyan