From: Kevin Lynch (krlynch_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-12-05 10:58:29

Neal Becker wrote:
> Good to bring this up. Note that we've discussed this before (and I posted
> sample code).
>
> I haven't seen your code yet, but you mention functors must derive from some
> base class. That's not desirable - and I doubt it's required.

I would go so far as to say that it is unacceptable for a serious
library. Every extra requirement on client code that isn't absolutely
necessary will dramatically reduce the potential userbase of your code
unless it brings with it a set of stong benefits. And I think that
you'll be hard pressed to show that this inheritance requirement brings
ANY benefits, much less compelling ones.

That said, I would really love to see a library like this in boost, and
I encourage Franck to push forward with development.