From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-12-09 15:55:54

I've made some changes on my local system and want to re-run all my tests
for a specific compiler - int this case VC 7.1. I want to switch to V2
bjam. I seems that the Jamfile.v2 should be OK as I see it being used with
the 1.34 tests without problems.

the command line I've been useing for v1 is:

bjam --dump-test -sTOOLS=$1 test >bjam.log 2>&1

In trying to figure out the v2 equivalent, I perused the bjam v2 document as
well as the new "getting started" guide. I also preused the code in
user-config.jam in tools/v2/build/... The bjam v2 document seemed somewhat
incomplete. But then it was never really clear to where the --dump-test
switch and test target came from with V1.

So I tried the naive approach and just tried to follow the instructions in
the new "getting started" guide.

It looks to me that the old system of using environmental variables has been
preplaced with with the new user-config.jam system. So it would seem that I
have to edit user-config.jam to specify the paths of the vc compilers ( as
well as others). On the other hand, there is no mention of anything like
this in the "getting started" guide. Indeed, invoking

bjam --v2 msvc-7.1 >bjam.log &

returns - among other things - warning: No toolsets are configured.

So, the "getting started" guide seems incomplete to me.

This concludes my observations on the new documentation.

Now I'm want to know what I have to do to make this work. From msvc.jam I
get the following examples which might be added to the right place in the
user-config.jam file

using msvc : 6.5 : cl.exe ;
using msvc : 7.0 : Y:/foo/bar/cl.exe ;

Which raises a couple of questions.

How is the include directory for the compiler determined? Is it just
asssumed that its in a particular place relative to the executable - or
what?

When I want to test with msvc-6.5 and stlport 5.0 how do I specify this?
I'm guessing it would be something like msvc-7.1-stlport-5.0 - but that's
just a guess - I didn't see it in the documentation.

I probably will have other questions but that's enough for now.

Robert Ramey