From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-12-10 12:00:55

> You're not following the guide.
>
> bjam --v2 toolset=msvc-7.1
> ^^^^^^^^
>
> will work.

Not for me. Here is what I get:

warning: Python location is not configured
warning: the Boost.Python library won't be built
Building Boost.Regex with the optional Unicode/ICU support disabled.
Please refer to the Boost.Regex documentation for more information
(and if you don't know what ICU is then you probably don't need it).
Jamfile.v2:239: in Jamfile</C:/BoostHead>.tag
rule stage.add-variant-and-compiler unknown in module
Jamfile</C:/BoostHead>.
.. a bunch of other stuff

its not clear to me how something like that could work. How does the system
know on what path my compiler is installed?

also
http://www.boost.org/regression-logs/cs-win32_metacomm/doc/html/bbv2/advanced/differences_to_v1/build_process.html

suggests to me that the following syntax should work

bjam msvc release some_target

which I take to mean that the following should work

bjam --v2 msvc release some_target

and which would lead me to expect that the following should work

bjam --v2 msvc

which doesn't work.

I've studied the "getting started" as well as the boost build documentation
and I can't see how one is expected to specify all the toolsets he uses.
FYI in my case I want to use the following:

msvc 6.5
msvc 7.1
msvc 8.0
bcc 5.51
bcc 5.64
comeau
gcc 3.3
stlport 5.0
stlport 4.53

I expect to find a place - with a syntax to specify it - a set of path names
for each of the above. If its in the documents it certainly doesn't jump
out at me.

Robert Ramey