From: Tobias Schwinger (tschwinger_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-12-13 20:08:20

David Abrahams wrote:

>>>Why should I give that as an option?
>>
>>There are two possible reasons that might or might not matter to you:
>>
>>- critical bug fixes can be deployed easily
>>- if users fix bugs they can easily create a patch and send us
>

> I don't want to encourage people to use an un-released snapshot of
> Boost in the **getting started** guide. Other options can be
> discussed elsewhere.

Oh, I was talking about the already-released branches, of course, but it only makes sense in case we back-port any fixes (that's what I meant with "might or might not matter", above).

>>>Why?
>>
>>"Ah, interesting - I'm developing for Windows - so I'll use
>>backslashes for consistency with my OS' file system... Didn't know
>>that would work, before..."
>

> You're welcome to make that choice.

I see (16.2.2: "How [...] the header is identified is implementation-defined"). Sorry for the noise.

>>>I'm thinking that maybe MacOS programmers who don't know how to use
>>>a shell are not a big enough audience to warrant lengthening the
>>>tutorial document.
>>>

>>Isn't there some external document that could be linked to for the
>>"cd/ls tutorial"?
>

> That would be great. If you could find me a good and stable link I'd
> be grateful. Likewise for Windows, for that matter.

Hard to find. Seems that "good" is enough of a K.O. criterion for most of the documents out there ;-(.

Regards,

Tobias