From: Janek Kozicki (janek_listy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-01-20 15:54:47

Matthias Schabel said: (by the date of Sat, 20 Jan 2007 11:04:43-0700)

> I am drawing a "line in the sand" at implementation of runtime unit
> systems;

> My library does not deal with issues of runtime units, therefore,
> does not provide any facility for doing these sorts of things.
> I do believe that this is an interesting area, and potentially
> worthy of implementation, but I don't have the time, inclination,
> or expertise to do it. I would like to keep the focus in the present
> discussion on zero runtime overhead dimensional analysis systems
> and reserve consideration of runtime units for another time/library...

In my opinion it is a wise decision. Andy Little tried to do both
runtime and compile time units, and simply got overhelmed by the
complexity of the problem. IIRC there was an agreement among the
reviewers that he tried doing too much, and that was the cause of his
failure.

So, Matthias, do as are are doing now. Do not add unnecessary
complexity to your project: solve only a small part of the problem,
but with a good solution.